Skip to Content
Agencies | Governor
Search Virginia.Gov

DIVISION of Mined Land Reclamation

Citizen Complaints or Request for Inspections

If you believe that you or your property has been affected by an active or abandoned coal mine, you may request an investigation of your complaint through the Virginia Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy’s Division of Mined Land Reclamation (DMLR). You may also request an inspection of an active mine site if you believe a condition, practice or violation exists at the operation which endangers public health and safety or may cause harm to the environment.

For more information, please refer to A Citizen's Guide to Filing a Complaint about Coal Mines.

After normal business hours (7 a.m.- 6 p.m.) and on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, please contact your County Sheriff's Department:

  • Buchanan County: (276)935-2313
  • Dickenson County: (276) 926-1603
  • Lee County: (276) 346-7777
  • Russell County: (276) 889-8033
  • Tazewell County: (276) 988-5966
  • Wise County: (276) 328-3566